North Barrackpore Municipality was established on 1 April 1869 under British Rule in India. After prolonged struggle and on the basis of persistent demand for formation of Local Self Government, the freedom fighter achieved the goal and resulting thereby Rastraguru Surendra Nath Bandopadhyay founder of Local Self Government, was elected Chairman of this Municipality in the year 1885.
He was the first Indian Elected Chairman and he held that chair in this Municipality for long 34 years from 1885 to 1889 and 1891 to 1921. At present total area of this Municipality is 12.22 Sq. Km. Total Population is 1, 23, 668 as per Census 2001. There are 23 wards. Total BPL population of this ULB is 19,932. The total no. of BPL family in this ULB is 4,663 as per the record of UPE cell of North Barrackpore Municipality.
This Municipal area is bounded by Garulia Municipal area at North, Barrackpore Municipal area & Barrackpore Cantonment area at South, Kaugachi & Mohanpur Gram Panchayet area at East and river Hooghly at West. The then North Barrackpore Municipality was established with dwellings units and subsequently Palta Water Works, now known as Indira Gandhi Water Treatment Plant, two big Ordinance Factories viz, Rifle Factory & Metal & Steel Factory and thereafter Indian Air Force Station were established within this Municipal area. So, Geographically the Municipality is segregated into three parts and is not compact one. Only Mechanised Brick Factory of State Government throughout the State of West Bengal and Inland Fisheries Capture & Research Institute are creditable organizations within this Municipal area.
There are two Railway Stations within this Municipality, which are Ichapore Station and Palta Station (on the Eastern Railway Sealdah-Ranaghat section). River Hooghly has been flowing by the Western side of the Municipality.In the year 1995 some area had been included from Mohanpur Gram Panchayet by Gazettee Notification.